Our Legal Mandate
In carrying out its responsibilities,Tanzania Tobacco Board has been given the following legal mandates:-
- Monitoring performance of the private sector whose role is mainly commercial to ensure that it operates in accordance with the tobacco industry legislation and other relevant policies of the country.
- Promoting collaboration between Private And Public Sector for implementation of shared functions.
- Preparing technical recommendations to the Government on tobacco policy issues in order to raise the industry’s contribution to the country’s development.
Also, in accordance to Tobacco Industry Act No.24 of 2001, the Board has the following powers:-
- To register or license tobacco growers, sellers and processors.
- To issue licenses to tobacco buyers, sellers and processors.
- To grant licenses for export or importation of tobacco from or into Tanzania.
- To appoint inspectors for the inspection of tobacco premises, and any other facility that may be inspected for the better carrying out any of the provisions of the Act.